Let’s talk about The Kumbayah Myth.
In the Kumbayah Myth, racism will just stop if everyone just started acting nice to each other, and the only reason we still have racism is that people are silly.
Part of the Kumbayah Myth is the erasure of history, violence and power. In this falsehood, either no one is really at fault, or, actually, EVERYONE is at fault, so everyone is equally bad. This actually exists only to make white people feel better and never have to change their behaviors.
Go look at Without Sanctuary and maybe read up on The Reconstruction and come back and tell me it’s all equal and IF ONLY Black people were nicer shit would have been different.
Now, let’s talk about this picture I linked. It says, “Love is Blind” and has a blind black woman and a blind Klansman walking across the street holding hands….
Well, even the symbolism fails, because:
a) The black woman is basically minding her own business
b) The blind Klansman DRESSED UP AS A KLANSMAN- even blind he still HATES PEOPLE.
c) AND WE’VE JUST EQUATED A BLACK WOMAN, by nature of simply BEING A BLACK WOMAN as equivalent to a murderous terrorist.
Oh. Ok. If only those damn Black women would stop being so Black, the KKK wouldn’t HAVE to lynch, murder and burn them in self defense.
You know, tit for tat, right?
But let’s keep going - the only reason, at least, we’d see this picture working is because HE DOESN’T KNOW SHE’S BLACK. Otherwise, he’d push her into traffic and claim, “I’m blind! I didn’t know what was happening!”
What the world needs is not more hugs. It needs you white people to stop killing people of color. It needs for you to stop defending murderers. It needs for you to stop equating dark skin as violent threat, and therefore, justifiable homicide in self defense. It needs for you to recognize that YOU, collectively, pull this shit, and no, it is not “equal”, there is no “reverse racism”.
Love is not blind. Hate is blind- it refuses to see what it does, it demands no one speak of it or say a thing. And it kills and conveniently forgets a moment later.
Then demands hugs and holding hands and singing kumbayah, and wonders why everyone is so mean to them.
- nobumomu likes this
- venusinthenight likes this
- ssicaa likes this
- ksie reblogged this from cherrygogh
- shinytimelord reblogged this from cherrygogh
- cherrygogh reblogged this from susiethemoderator
- adamourge likes this
- itsmellslikedeadegg reblogged this from thegypsyyears
- methmilo likes this
- caffeinemonkey likes this
- abovesaints reblogged this from alaskantacos
- alaskantacos reblogged this from thegypsyyears
- little-rainy-day reblogged this from desolate-testament
- lxvxi likes this
- thegypsyyears likes this
- thegypsyyears reblogged this from gottanirvana
- desolate-testament reblogged this from gottanirvana and added:
- gottanirvana reblogged this from gottanirvana
- andnonefornonsensebye reblogged this from peppapigvevo
- blackhippy-tde likes this
- remainsexy reblogged this from rokamouthsingh
- youth-in-revolt-10 likes this
- prettyprincessalex likes this
- im-a-fucking-stan reblogged this from bvsedpapi
- bvsedpapi reblogged this from tiemydurag
- exxplicit-content reblogged this from exxplicit-content
- applecores likes this
- deadly-lizardy reblogged this from tyzel
- nappykitty likes this
- we-can-be-heroes likes this
- thekingofbutts reblogged this from gang0fwolves
- readwithmebabe reblogged this from yungbeaner
- wolfscythe123 reblogged this from bankuei
- dreamhorse333 reblogged this from beardfacebastard
- antisepticwhitewash likes this
- mha1john reblogged this from bankuei
- princessshirley reblogged this from adthekidd
- jaybabi328 reblogged this from blackgirlundefined
- beezl3 likes this
- theoddestcurl likes this
- vavavante likes this
- nomadmedstudent likes this
- argylepaisley likes this
- noonesuspectsthegoldfish reblogged this from incogneeco
- wizardoftwat likes this
- alifetimewithouttime reblogged this from incogneeco
- alifetimewithouttime likes this
- incogneeco reblogged this from homoeroticjahlani
- incogneeco likes this
- homoeroticjahlani reblogged this from blackgirlundefined